Friday, April 24, 2015

Surviving a Weight Loss Plateau



I survived a weight loss plateau! In the past when I hit a plateau, I eventually got frustrated and reverted back to my old habits.

For three weeks the scale was moving up a bit, then down a bit. Then I finally was able see a one pound weight loss. Remember small progress is still progress.

I survived this plateau for three reasons:
  1. I was not starving myself. I ate healthy food and was generally satisfied and never had that feeling that I was hungry and miserable with no results to show for it. Remember to make food and exercise choices that you can sustain forever.
  2. A review of my foods choices provided a possible explanation. The three week period included a short road trip. Another good reason to keep a food and exercise journal.
  3. Weighing myself daily meant that I was comfortable with these small changes in my weight and knew from previous weeks that the scale will eventually go in the right direction. In fact it took me some time to realize that it was actually three weeks before I saw a real loss.
Here is more information on weight loss plateaus from the Mayo Clinic.

It's interesting that one expert, Jillian Michaels, said in this article that your weight loss will resume after about three weeks. So true in my case.

Your journey to being healthy and fit will not be a straight road but the valleys will be easier to endure when you focus on gaining health not just losing weight!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...