Saturday, May 16, 2015

Can You Really Increase Your Metabolism?



We can't help but read the numerous recommendations to boost our metabolism.  Green tea, chili, more muscle, drink more water, and so on, and so on will increase your metabolism. My personal anecdotal evidence shows that none of these foods or things can significantly boost metabolism. I naturally love extra spicy food. The hotter, the better. In fact if chili was as effective as some say, I actually look like I'm anorexic! I also went through a period of time when I drank cups and cups of green tea and bottles and bottles of green ice tea. And, once again, there was no significant impact on my weight loss.

The reality is there are many foods and drinks that will increase your metabolism, but the boost is so negligible that it's hardly worth considering. Also, none of the foods or drinks can sustain the increase for a long period of time.



According to this article by women's Health Magazine, research shows that drinking two to four cups of tea per days helps you burn about 50 extra calories. So if you do the math, in 70 days you'll lose one pound (3500/50)! I think there are more effective and faster ways to lose one pound. Here's another take by Shape Fit on why trying to boost your metabolism is a waste of your time.

The more research I do, the more I'm convinced that there are no shortcuts or gimmicks. Just stick to the basics and you'll get a healthy and fit body eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...