Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Is It Better To Exercise Alone Or With A Group?



Over the years I have worked out alone, with one or two friends and with a large group and I can definitively say it's better with at least one other person. I found in my case that I was more consistent and exercised more frequently when I was accountable to at least one other person.

You know the days when you don't feel like going to the gym, well when your friend(s) will be at the gym waiting for you; you feel bad and drag yourself to meet them.

Sometimes my friends encouraged or pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and do things that I wouldn't normally. This was how I started yoga, completed a full and two half marathons. And also how I had my first and only spinning class (but at least now I know I hate spinning).

There is research to back up my anecdotal evidence. One study found that 64% of women train harder, exercise longer and more often, and burn more calories with friends than when they exercise alone. Furthermore, 31% say that their friends are their motivation to stay in shape.

Of course, if you enjoy exercising alone, just continue. But if you need some support and motivation find a friend or join a group. I would caution you, that it is important that your partners be at a similar fitness level otherwise you'll only be discouraged and hate it.

Also, although it's not impossible to use a home gym with one or two friends, you will probably now have to consider exercising outside your home.

Depending on where you live, you'll probably have no difficulty finding an appropriate group. Good luck!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...