Sunday, February 22, 2015

How Much Water To Drink?



Are you like me, confused about how much water we should drink daily? Of course, you have heard 8 glasses is the optimum level. Some experts also recommend more if you are overweight. I have also heard advice such as drink two bottles of water before every meal to reduce the amount you eat. This just leaves me very uncomfortable. So often we see individuals walking around with their water bottles like they are running a marathon in the Sahara Desert. Recently, I completed an online hydration calculator and it was recommended that I drink 130 ounces or 13.6 liters daily. That's just under 8 bottles of water! I'll never be able to be far away from a restroom!

When in doubt, I go the Mayo Clinic for the best advice. One observation is that we get about 20% of daily water requirement from food. Taking that fact into consideration, their recommendation for those of us who have no health issues is about 1.5 liters or about 3 bottles of water daily. I could definitely do this without feeling waterlogged. Technically, this doesn't all have to be water, other drinks can also qualify. But, calorie-free water is the best to stay hydrated.


Image courtesy of Toa55 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...